Author Topic: A different take on flares  (Read 9649 times)

Offline Vega

• View Profile
A different take on flares
« on: November 01, 2008, 06:43:40 AM »
What are people's thoughts on making the flares illuminating radius smaller and their burn time shortened, but have them as a standard(innate) piece of equipment for the mercenary?  He still chooses four gadgets, but he also starts with 'x' amount of flares (5?).  As usual, when the mercenary dies, his flares refill just as it happens for your other gadgets.  I bring this up because flares in CT were pretty worthless as a gadget slot, but they could definitely serve a purpose as an innate gadget.  Question is: how powerful would it be? 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 06:45:11 AM by Vega »

Offline ChickenSkin

• View Profile
Re: A different take on flares
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 12:17:55 PM »
I see no reason why they shouldn't be compulsory. The lakehouse map did look VERY dark, and I think mercs will have a hard enough time just patrolling as it is, so flares could come in useful here. I actually didn't mind the burn time, and brightness of the flare in CT, just that there were too many of them. Set it to three flares per life and it will force mercs to be more conservatory with them, and use them wisely. Could prove for some interesting gameplay.

Offline Spekkio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 02:47:54 PM »
Eh, I'd rather have the gasmask as an innate piece of equipment. Flares really don't serve much of a purpose when the mercs have a lot of other tools available to them to see in dark spots.

Offline ChickenSkin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 03:13:46 PM »
Eh, I'd rather have the gasmask as an innate piece of equipment. Flares really don't serve much of a purpose when the mercs have a lot of other tools available to them to see in dark spots.

Why not just make frags & GM innate gadgets for story mode? I don't see the point in making them 'selectable' gadgets because EVERYBODY takes them for story mode. This would leave the other 4 gadget slots open, which
means not all player will take the same old 'BP, Mines, Nades, Mask' or 'Traps, Mines, Nades, Mask' combo. Obviously some may say its too OP, mercs having so many gadgets, and may require some gadgets to be rethought or even new ones created, but it will certainly make the game more interesting.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 03:16:57 PM by ChickenSkin »

Offline Vega

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 05:26:06 PM »
I'm partial to the gas mask as an innate piece of equipment since it's only use is to counter another gadget, but it still takes up a valuable gadget slot.  That being said, I find it great testing material.  Even if it were to be implemented, I see no reason why flares and gas mask couldn't both be implemented -- assuming flares and gas mask weren't too powerful.

I don't think we should add frags as innate because they're a bit different than flares and gas mask.  Gas mask exists solely to counter cams, flares only illuminate areas, but frags kill spies.  I find frags too powerful to just give them to a mercenary for free; unless we were to allow them only 3 gadget slots.

Gawain

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 08:20:05 PM »
yeah, give mercs flares and mask permanently and only 3 free slots.
make flares refillable at ammo stations for a limited number of refills or an appropriate timer.
with no more emf ghosting and mt nightvision, mercs definitely need another tool for lighting up areas (especially if the maps get rather dark like lakehouse which is a good thing) if you don't wanna give them car flood lights on their helmets.
additionally add ph. nades to the selectable gadgets.

Offline Westfall

• Probably the best Westfall in the world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 05:32:06 AM »

QFE

Offline LennardF1989

• Lead Programmer
  • Production Team
    • View Profile
    • LennardF1989.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 12:48:11 PM »
Speaking about ammo crates, how about the exhausting ammocrates?

You know, those things that can refill everything (flares, grenades, etc) but once the resources are up, you have to find an other crate.

And how about ammofill crates (also exhaustable) for the spy?

Offline Westfall

• Probably the best Westfall in the world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 04:05:20 PM »

You know, those things that can refill everything (flares, grenades, etc) but once the resources are up, you have to find an other crate.

I think neither should be implemented. You already get enough when you spawn.

Offline Vega

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 06:00:17 PM »

All ammo crates did was refill the mercenary's ammo, not anything else.  I think it's tactically better to just keep it the way it is CT, by having equipment refilled every respawn. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:02:12 PM by Vega »

Offline AgentX_003

• The fire under your ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 07:19:34 PM »

All ammo crates did was refill the mercenary's ammo, not anything else.  I think it's tactically better to just keep it the way it is CT, by having equipment refilled every respawn. 

I regret to inform you Vega , that once again you fail.  I think this person is talking about  Pandora Tomorrow ,it not only filled your ammo but your, flares as well .

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Offline LennardF1989

• Lead Programmer
  • Production Team
    • View Profile
    • LennardF1989.com
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 07:30:05 PM »
Actually, I was talking about the idea that came up some time ago.

Everyone liked it more or less, though, seems people don't anymore now.

Offline Tidenburg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 07:49:48 PM »
The one where gadgets were refilled by ammunitions crates? I liked that, sorta, but it would have to be limited or we could spam like mad.

Offline Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

• Cool guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 07:51:51 PM »

I regret to inform you Vega , that once again you fail.  I think this person is talking about  Pandora Tomorrow ,it not only filled your ammo but your, flares as well .
It didn't. You fail.

Offline LennardF1989

• Lead Programmer
  • Production Team
    • View Profile
    • LennardF1989.com
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 08:16:37 PM »
The one where gadgets were refilled by ammunitions crates? I liked that, sorta, but it would have to be limited or we could spam like mad.
Thats why the crates were exhaustable. As in, if grenades are empty in the crate, you have to find an other one to refill.