i am an atheist

Started by Roberto1223, December 15, 2008, 11:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Tidenburg on December 27, 2008, 02:18:44 AM
Papa skull, you have NO evidence for supporting god but theorys like the Big Bang disprove god if they are real and we DO have at least some supporting evidence for those arguments.

Oh no.  They absolutely do not prove he does not exist.  What's with people thinking that the big bang and such are theories to end all theories?  No.  There's something behind the big bang.  It's much more foolish to believe a big bang happened from nothing than to believe there is a God behind the supposed big bang.

Also, he doesn't mean Moon god like that. You could be muslim etc and you would still think your religion is right, all he means is just because YOU believe it, that means nothing, because you really had no choice in your decision. I'm willing to bet you were raised by a religious family and that you didn't choose YOUSELF to be that way, it's been forced upon you and you cannot see that. I was brought up religiously (the school and the works) and just one day looked at the myself and what I believed in and found the converse to make much more sense.

I know what he means.  He was trying to make me out to be an idiot, or someone who rejects scientific evidence.  Quite the contrary.  I can tell that THE God is not the God that Muslims or what have you will make you believe.  Our God is not the -get on your knees and praise me 10x per day and kill yourself in my name- kind of god.  I believe that's foolish and was just a man-made chunk of crap.  Our God is beyond genius, forgiving, and wants you to value life (yours and others)...  No wife beating allowed or encouraged by the Christian God.  No virgins in heaven for you to bang when you kill yourself in the name of "the creator".  The morals taught by God are the morals that our world strives to live by, but fails anyway.  Everything just seems to add up. 

And no, I was soaked in Christianity while I was growing up.  Yes, my parents are Christian.  However, we never go to church, we hardly, if ever read the bible, so no.  I'm open to everything even if it may contradict what it says in the bible.  And again, the bible does have moral stories, metaphors, symbols, etc.  For example the area of Soddom and Gommorah was ACTUALLY destroyed by plummeting-firey-fallout from a mile long meteor, but in the bible it says a pillar of fire.  You can't take it word for word and completely run with it as the 100% truth.  Of course not.  I would say I was more raised with Christian morals than as a Christian.  Yes, I've learned to accept that Jesus Christ is the savior and I wasn't forced. 

Also, how can you believe in God when so many other religions are the same? It's faaar more likely than you know that all religion is based off of astrology (look it up) Sun positions as the rebirth of Jesus and the rebirth of the sun, the "three wise men" is a contellation pointing to another star (with a name _LIKE_ mary) from the sun. Also, you do realise how much your bible has been changed? The romans merged it with Pagans AGGGGGEESS ago, which is why your day for the birth of christ is also the sun festival for pagans when he was "supposedly" born around march time.
read previous paragraph.  I know the bible can't be taken word for word.

VaNilla

Quote from: Papa Skull on December 27, 2008, 02:12:53 AM

The majority of the bible is lies?  Really?  That's odd because the more they do scientific tests/investigations on the various stories/people in the bible, the more they find that is actually true!  There were princes that the world believed did not exist that were mentioned in the bible.  With more investigating, the geologists and such found that a lot of these people in the bible actually DID exist.  A lot of the stories they test lead scientists to new discoveries in the history of our Earth.  Yeah, guess I'm saying that the bible has contributed to our knowledge of the world today.

I think most was the keyword, may not be the best wording I have actually used, so I'll change that. Lets say the premise of the bible shall we. Now, sure the bible has stories, and who's to say some of these stories don't have historical background? Nobody who cannot disprove them, since we actually CAN, at this present time, prove that some of the stories in the Bible are true or false in certain ways. However, your telling me I'm going to go to a bad place if I do bad things. What if I tell you that I'll become a bag of Mars bars if I do good things, and then become a watermelon if I do bad things? YOU HAVE NO PROOF WHATSOEVER TO SAY I'M WRONG, OKAY? Come on why put all your eggs in one basket with the bible, I mean come on, do you have more proof Heaven and Hell exist than I do with my theory about Mars bars and Watermelons? What if I told you hell doesn't exist, I mean come on, Gods a forgiving guy. Tell me how forgiving he is before you tell me he would send me to hell if I killed someone. Oh wait damn it yeah, you don't know.

That's absolutely correct.  It's called masking.  Don't agree with something?  No problem!  Just make fun of it and it'll be all better!  Where's the logic?  Kind of like that thread below this one that screams OBAMA!  I could make fun of Obama's name in order to make him sound like a terrorist to belittle him but it doesn't make him a terrorist.  Apply that logic to you calling GOD something like jelly beans and you have no point.  Doesn't make God sound silly, makes you sound silly because your argument goes nowhere except into the ground.

Now if I used your logic I'm afraid I'd be retarded. Lets apply my logic, sense. Here, let me explain it. You say God does all these very far fetched things like sending me to Heaven or Hell when I die, watching over me to give me guidance, started the whole world, and that nothing came before him. As soon as I apply those rules to Jelly Beans, HOLY SHIT I'M MASKING! Your logic takes it all like this, Obama is a terrorist! How silly would that be to say if you can prove otherwise. We know what Terrorists are, just like we know who Obama is. However we have exactly the same rules and beliefs about Jelly Beans and God, they just have different names. However, the god Jelly Beans doesn't exist because his name isn't God. I mean, does it sound silly to you or something? Now when we're talking about masking, don't try and change MY logic to yours to make it seem retarded, because you don't have logic that can be applied to the situation, which doesn't really surprise me.

Well, what was before the matter that clumped together to form a gigantic universe-forming explosion?  Nothing, right?  See, all theories of the universe have a halting problem.  What was before that?  I agree with you, but I think I know the answer.  God.  Nothing was before him, the one exception to the man-made-rules of physics.  I don't think God has to fit himself in with the rules that we made ourselves.

Your such a dick. I've already said I think it all loops, that's all I believe it can do and there's some very good logic behind that. Something would have to cause these things to happen. What I would actually like to believe is that maybe, in a different world we could have rules that made sense, so we could explain these things, I really would. However, that's simply not possible. Prove me wrong. Your whole argument there is that these theories can't just have nothing before them, and I agree, but why is this God you speak of any different to that? How was it just there? Can you prove that? We may well have man-made-rules of physics, but guess what, they make a lot more sense than a man-made-story-book ever will. Please stop ignoring my arguments to try and make your points seem valid.

None of our minds can comprehend what else besides simple nature or an intelligent creator could create our universe.
That does not mean there is a God. That means I do not know how the world started. So guess what, I'm not going to try and make something up, I'm not going to chase a dead end. I only take to me what can be proven and although you may say it all has to start somehow, that has to start as well. The logic of God having no beginning is retarded I'm afraid, everything has to have a start, which is why nobody will ever prove how EVERYTHING started. Your bullshit about our minds not being able to compherend something, only makes your point weaker, much like every word you type.

So yeah, I think we've came to a pretty good conclusion about who's argument has the basis here, I think we can end this now.

goodkebab

Quote from: HYPER STAG BEETLE on December 27, 2008, 05:06:42 AM
So how many people have been converted by this thread?

lol...this is why the whole discussion is a fart in the wind.

The belief in god is completely based on the personal spiritual experience with ones self.  The experience justifies the belief.  Withouht such an experience,  a belief is either blind faith that is "conditioned" by education,  conformity,  and the inability or prohibition of freedom of thought (religious fundamentalism) OR it leads to a completly cerebral logic that if it is not experienced or can be scientifically explained it cannot be spiritual (athiesm).

I certainly believe in god and christ,  but think the Catholic church is evil (in the historicaly fucking humanity up sense of the word),  and the protestant translation is equally messed up.  So I can respect Athiests attacking  these organizations and reminding us of how messed it up the whole bag of nonsense is.  But where athiesm fails is making the presumption that just because some idiots believe in some nonsense...therefore EVERYONE that believes in god is an idiot.  This is a generalisation,  and is the same kind of arrogance that religious fundamentalist fall into.   "I am right,  you are wrong"

frvge

Kebab just joined Zed and Mic in the ranks of Awesome. Yay. Almost our whole Dev team is Awesome now.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Tidenburg

QuoteOh no.  They absolutely do not prove he does not exist.  What's with people thinking that the big bang and such are theories to end all theories?  No.  There's something behind the big bang.  It's much more foolish to believe a big bang happened from nothing than to believe there is a God behind the supposed big bang.
Ermm most retarded argument ever?
So it's "stupid" to believe the Big Bang (an explosion of energy) happened from nothing but to believe that some all-powerful being formed out of nothing is totally logical? Read what I said about looking at your own beliefs ;)

But where athiesm fails is making the presumption that just because some idiots believe in some nonsense...therefore EVERYONE that believes in god is an idiot.  This is a generalisation,  and is the same kind of arrogance that religious fundamentalist fall into.   "I am right,  you are wrong"
And where you fail is making the presumption that just because some idiots believe every religious person is stupid that every Athiest believes all religious people are stupid ;D

QuoteKebab just joined Zed and Mic in the ranks of Awesome. Yay. Almost our whole Dev team is Awesome now.
Ha, I didn't read the whole post but if that's just because they're religious then seriously, respect--

Westfall

Quote from: frvge on December 27, 2008, 05:17:50 PM
Kebab just joined Zed and Mic in the ranks of Awesome. Yay. Almost our whole Dev team is Awesome now.

How am I not up there?

neth

@KEBAB

QuoteThis is a generalisation

and what about this:

QuoteCatholic church is evil

Isn't that a generalisation ?

I mean, I keep meeting people who say that they believe in God but they don't go to church and basically hate it. That's totally stupid since the only way to fully experience this religion is to do it with church's help. You say that you believe in God and Christ so you probably know that it's not enough to just say "I believe" and that you must stay in solid contact with God. I wonder how you do that if you don't go to church.

Also, if you say you "believe", you must have some knowledge about the Christ and the whole religion, you obviously got this knowledge from church (or from your parents who got it from church). If the church is evil, how can you say that you believe in something that comes from it ?

Let me also say that people I meet usually use the "church is evil" argument to justify their laziness when they simply have "better things" to do than just go to church.

@ROBERTO

Quotehey papaskull, how do u know hell exists?

Catholics believe in it. If a person says he knows something about the religion that hasn't been confirmed scientifically he means that his belief is strong enough to say he's sure of something.

Quotewho ever lived to tell about it. lol.
and guess what, the dude who painted those heaven and hell arts, was alive! so odds are that he hasnt been to any of those places.

Bible gives facts about hell or heaven and that's the source. Obviously none of these artists was able to see it before death but they painted as they imagine it basing on words about punishment or reward for good life. Isn't that pretty obvious ?

Gui Brazil

Quote from: neth on December 27, 2008, 09:38:52 PM
@KEBAB

QuoteThis is a generalisation

and what about this:

QuoteCatholic church is evil

Isn't that a generalisation ?

Isn't it (evil), though? Find me one that doesn't ask for money for God. I'm catholic btw, I just forget to go to the church.

EDIT: I'm not even gonna start about the priest orgies and everything else on the middle age that went directly against everything that they said - and still say.

Roberto1223

how cool would it be to know the truth tomorrow

and see how religious poeple from all different religions all over the world start flipping over and having some kind of catastrophic post-traumatic disorder and turn into zombies

and we atheists have to live the videogame story of left 4 dead !

or what if its the other way around! holy crap!

goodkebab

Neth:

Catholic church is a single entity...so to call it evil is not a generalisation.  And to even say this would at one point in history would be enough to have me executed (just to point out how messed up it is).

Claiming that all  christians,  or catholic priests are evil  IS a generalisation and would certainly be false.

Like i said, the belief in god is a personal experience,  and any organisation, institution, or another individual has absolutely no authority over that experience.

Roberto,

The nature of fundamentalist belief is to adapt the belief,  not to give it up.  This has nothing to do with god btw.  Scientists will also change their beliefs if their theories prove to be wrong.

LennardF1989

neth

@Kebab

ok, so give me examples of this evil referring to the whole institution.

frvge

That's not that hard... Inquisition comes to mind.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Gui Brazil

Quote from: frvge on December 28, 2008, 12:43:51 PM
That's not that hard... Inquisition comes to mind.

Easier than farting.