SCCT Versus Maps

Started by CurdyMilk, February 21, 2010, 03:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennardF1989

He means that if we port maps and the staticmeshes in them and one happens to be made by Ubisoft we are toast.

frvge

Besides, Weird Al asks permission for all of his parodies. Sometimes it's denied. He can afford to be in a lawsuit, we can't.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

CurdyMilk

Quote from: LennardF1989 on February 27, 2010, 03:55:41 PM
He means that if we port maps and the staticmeshes in them and one happens to be made by Ubisoft we are toast.

True, but isn't there a way to know if the staticmesh is made by ubi or not?  All you would really have to do is compare the static meshes in the map to the meshes in the ubi maps and see.  If one or two are the same, then just change one or two.  If none are the same, then you are in luck!

frvge

In the end, we're not risking it. If you want to do it with UDK, fine.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Spekkio

Quote from: frvge on February 27, 2010, 04:00:37 PM
Besides, Weird Al asks permission for all of his parodies. Sometimes it's denied. He can afford to be in a lawsuit, we can't.
No, he doesn't. He got actually got sued and won.

I can understand that all Ubi has to do is threaten you to make you guys give in, since you don't have the $$$, but you're not violating the law by copying static meshes.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Quote from: Spekkio on February 27, 2010, 11:13:08 PM
but you're not violating the law by copying static meshes.
Bullshit. It's copyright infringement (or whatever it's called).

Westfall

Quote from: Opioid on February 27, 2010, 11:48:55 PM
Quote from: Spekkio on February 27, 2010, 11:13:08 PM
but you're not violating the law by copying static meshes.
Bullshit. It's copyright infringement (or whatever it's called).

The static meshes were made available to the public to create their own maps. Since PS is a non profit game, there is no copyright if they use the same static meshes. At the sane time they would be redone for the new engine they're using, making them original static meshes to PS and UDK. No copyright.

LennardF1989

What is it with you people, anything (no really ANYTHING) you take from an other game and put in your own, no matter if it's free or for cash, is copyright infridgement WITHOUT an official statement claiming you are free to use it. The same counts for taking a melody and putting it in your own song, or pulling a bookreport of the internet and telling your teacher it's yours. It's all illegal!

Now please stop it, if you want those maps make them yourself because we can't stop you from doing that. We will only make new maps or maps we have the ownership off.

And we don't exclude ever making profit of PS, if we sell merchendise we are not a non-profit game anymore as that requires us to get a commercial license. Now please go back to discussing what this topic was about in the first place, gees, speaking of excagerating.

Spekkio

You're wrong. I understand your emotional sentiment from a game developer stance, and I understand your [unreasonable] fear of being sued and not having the money to put up a fight, but the fact of the matter is that everything is fair game. The courts have ruled consistently this way when it comes to other types of media. While the amount of video game specific cases are lacking, the concept is the same: Unless you are virtually copying the item verbatim (eg, putting your copy of CT on another DVD and giving it to someone or selling it), then you aren't committing copyright infringement.

If Weird Al can use someone else's beats for a song and charge money, you can use someone else's static meshes for a map in a game, regardless of whether or not you choose to charge money for it.

EDIT: And honestly, ya'll's stance on the issue is rather contradictory. You have a spy with the same sticky shocker as CT/PT, with the same gadgets and abilities. Same goes for the merc. But god forbid you copy a static mesh for maps...then that's over the line. Give me a fucking break and get over yourselves. If what you were doing was copyright infringement, you crossed the line a long fucking time ago. Calling a sticky cam by some other gay name doesn't change the law in your favor.  

frvge

As Lennard said, on topic... and the answer is: DIY, we're not going to do it.

Spekkio

Quote from: frvge on February 28, 2010, 01:49:53 AM
We? What the fuck do you do for this game? You just own the website...AFAIK, you have nothing to do with the actual programming or map making, so fuck off.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Quote from: Spekkio on February 28, 2010, 01:59:59 AM
Quote from: frvge on February 28, 2010, 01:49:53 AM
We? What the fuck do you do for this game? You just own the website...AFAIK, you have nothing to do with the actual programming or map making, so fuck off.
Spek, less emotions, please.
Honestly, I'd stay by Spek's side on this one, however, imo, even if you ported the maps as they were, you wouldn't be wanting to play them (graphics), and you'd have to make some serious changes because of the dynamic climbing system.
Therefore, you could by all legal means use a layout of a map (see how like 95% of all popular sites have the exact same layout, just different colours and shapes?).
That's my two cents.

frvge

I'm the self-claimed legal advisor too. Been following the legal blogs on copyright for years and got some classes about it. Also attended extra seminar on digital law. We're talking Dutch law, which has less chance of being sued because the cost of going to court are relatively high here, but still a company would outclass us money-wise: main reason we're not taking chances that we're not certain we can win.

Can we go on-topic now? Pleeaaaassseee?

CurdyMilk

Yeah guys, it really isn't worth throwing a temper tantrum or having a hissy fit even though I agree.  The lesson to be learned is if you want it done, do it yourself.  We have established this a long time ago.  I feel like it wasn't even worth posting these maps because it has created more problems than solutions.  They were initially intended for Leonard due to a special request,  but now the whole tide has turned into a massive court case that nobody will ever win.  Do it yourself or don't complain.  So...does anybody have anything to say about the downloadable maps?  Some of them have not been downloaded yet.  Chemical Industries, Eden, Heliport, and Outpost are all good maps that nobody has touched.   

Spekkio

QuoteChemical Industries, Eden, Heliport, and Outpost are all shitty maps that nobody has touched.
Fixed.

As for the emotion, sorry...it's just frustrating to see an entire game built upon someone else's pre-existing framework, but then people get their panties in a bunch about copyright over porting user-made maps. Give me a break.