American politicians to bring back slavery!

Started by Aj, July 31, 2010, 03:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farley4Fan

Ha!  This is what Hitler did.

We're in for some good times.  I look forward to starting a rebellion/new country.  Anyone interested?

There's no better way to "promote volunteerism" than to force people to "volunteer".  How fucking stupid.

YaYz0r

Since you are not anyone's property, not even the state's, this cannot be considered slavery, right?

Tidenburg

Quote from: Farley4Fan on July 31, 2010, 06:27:47 AM

We're in for some good times.  I look forward to starting a rebellion/new country.  Anyone interested?
When you do that, can you try making one that isn't run around religious zealotry and endless consumeri- oh wait. This isn't that thread. :P

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Tidenburg on July 31, 2010, 11:57:13 AM

When you do that, can you try making one that isn't run around religious zealotry and endless consumeri- oh wait. This isn't that thread. :P

No.  Everything American stays.  Except bullshit politics.  You can run for office but if we find any corruption or reasons to believe that you aren't in power to help people, we take you out and kill you. 

This guy who proposed the slavery bill has recently been charged with something like 13 counts of tax evasion.  Yeah, people are "asking him to step down".  "Ask" to "Step down", like on his own terms?

Fuck.  That.

Now we're seeing bills that would put elected officials under different rules/standards than your average citizen.  As in, different laws would apply to them.

Again, Fuck.  That.

No tolerance for shit like this in my new country.  Absolutely none.

CurdyMilk

Quote from: Farley4Fan on July 31, 2010, 12:09:23 PM

No.  Everything American stays.  Except bullshit politics.  You can run for office but if we find any corruption or reasons to believe that you aren't in power to help people, we take you out and kill you. 
Sounds good but then everybody will be dead and nobody will be in office.  Both parties are corrupt.

Spekkio

There is a fine bit of yellow journalism in this article, but I would expect nothing less from a website titled "InfoWars." The article misses one key point: Military and civilian civil servants (eg, police officers) get paid for their work. The website also preys upon people's misunderstanding of how our legislative branch works; the fact that a bill is up to committee does not mean it's going to pass or even be voted on.

The idea of mandatory civil service is nothing new, and I doubt that this bill will get past Congress. The organizations don't want it, the American people don't want it, so it's going to die in Congress.

goodkebab

Civil service is required in a lot of countries,  especially smaller ones where,  for national security,  it just makes logical sense for all male citizens to have military training.  Israel even requires women for military service,  in Switzerland they take their Automatic rifles with ammunition home with them.

I dont see this working in the US for a lot of reasons though.  Namely,  USA goes to War with a country every generation, making this no different then a "draft".  It would also bloat the military with a lot of people that dont want to be there which is just asking for a disaster.

Civil service does make sense in an "ideal" way,  but that requires the infrastucture and social system to support it,  which the USA does not have either.   If you are doing Civil service for 12months,  you do not have the time for College or a full time job.  On top of that, public transport in the states is limited to major cities, making it less likely for people in Civil service to afford  transportation.

Penguin

I find anything from InfoWars extremely difficult to believe. I'm not one to easily buy into fear mongering.

However, this report is troubling because actual bill certainly looks like mandatory service. Fuck no to that. I would leave the US if a draft came into action, though I'd probably get called on to serve or otherwise stopped before I could. I'm not going to go fight in some bullshit war.

I don't think this bill will even get close to passing. And if it did massive uproar would be evoked resulting in all of the politicians being kicked out of office within the next two years.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: CurdyMilk on July 31, 2010, 06:59:46 PM
Quote from: Farley4Fan on July 31, 2010, 12:09:23 PM

No.  Everything American stays.  Except bullshit politics.  You can run for office but if we find any corruption or reasons to believe that you aren't in power to help people, we take you out and kill you.  
Sounds good but then everybody will be dead and nobody will be in office.  Both parties are corrupt.

Haha there won't be parties in my country.  We'd only get the best of the best people "in power", the corrupted ones would be too scared to run for office.  Help me fantasize.

And of course it's going to be shot down.  The fact that some of our elected officials believe we'd accept this bullshit is a bit troubling, but nothing we haven't seen before.

Spekkio

Quote from: goodkebab on July 31, 2010, 10:11:21 PM
I dont see this working in the US for a lot of reasons though.  Namely,  USA goes to War with a country every generation, making this no different then a "draft".  It would also bloat the military with a lot of people that dont want to be there which is just asking for a disaster.
To add to that, the military is also the largest single source of government spending in a country that is incurring a growing debt year by year; adding more servicemembers through mandatory service would instantly bankrupt the US. Moreover, the military has more than enough personnel to accomplish its mission of securing national defense. With the recession, there are a lot of people turning to the military for a steady paycheck and retention is above goal for most areas. On the Navy end, the wait time to enlist for most ratings is over a year. If you want to become an officer, you'd better have a stellar gpa in college.

So yea, while infowars might be "fighting for your freedom," the reality is that this is a non-issue.

goodkebab

Out of curiousity,  how much does the USA profit from its wars.  I cant believe for a second they are done for merely political ideals.  Security groups obviously earn a healthy paycheck,  but who else?

Farley4Fan

Quote from: goodkebab on August 01, 2010, 09:54:06 PM
Out of curiousity,  how much does the USA profit from its wars.  I cant believe for a second they are done for merely political ideals.  Security groups obviously earn a healthy paycheck,  but who else?

We as a country don't benefit, in fact, we pay.  The only people who get the benefit are the ones who we try to help: Iraqi citizens, Afghan citizens (unfortunately they don't all benefit from our help) though I think it would be foolish to say the majority is the same if not better (according to some polls I've seen)...  No Saddam is a huge plus, a possibly functioning democracy is welcomed, we're building roads, schools, buildings that the war destroyed, in the end I would hope they are better off. 

At first I hoped we could make it a strong ally in the Mid East but I was foolish.  Now I just hope to leave it better than it was before we took out Saddam's regime.  I still think that's definitely possible and we seem to be on route to see that.

Most of the alleged profit would go to private parties.  Think mercenaries, oil companies perhaps.

I wouldn't mind seeing the U.S. getting a slice of that huge gold mine we just found in Afghanistan if a successful democracy is installed, but that's a tall order for little pay back.