Computer/Tech Help Section?

Started by Cronky, June 15, 2011, 10:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should a "Computer/Tech Help" section be added to the forum?

Yes
5 (45.5%)
No
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: June 29, 2011, 10:33:22 AM

Cronky

This came up a few times in the questionnaire that I gave some people...

What does everyone think of having a Computer/Tech Help section added to the forum? We seem to have at least a few people that know their way around computer problems and occasionally a computer related problem pops up in the General/Off Topic section. Might not be much reason as of yet to have one, but whenever the PS beta comes out there might be more of a use to it (what with inevitable bugs and compatibility issues).

What do you guys say? Put some words in a reply and submit!!! (also vote)

If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Tidenburg

No.

If/When the game is actually a released I imagine a whole load of new forums will be added, including a bug/problems area. Even then, general pc problems and enquiries are completely unrelated and so should go in off-topic, in my opinion. Just because most of us are nerds, doesn't mean there needs to be a section we can dish out the knowledge. I'm fairly certain many of us have other common interest areas too, doesn't mean we need a forum for each. :3

Zedblade

Quote from: Cronky on June 15, 2011, 10:33:22 AM
This came up a few times in the questionnaire that I gave some people...

What does everyone think of having a Computer/Tech Help section added to the forum? We seem to have at least a few people that know their way around computer problems and occasionally a computer related problem pops up in the General/Off Topic section. Might not be much reason as of yet to have one, but whenever the PS beta comes out there might be more of a use to it (what with inevitable bugs and compatibility issues).

What do you guys say? Put some words in a reply and submit!!! (also vote)

This isn't something that is needed right now. If someone has a tech Q, then the general/off-topic forum is good enough for now. If/When the game is released, then that will be something we can add.

Cronky

All fair points thus far against it. I knew this would have little use right now, as specified, but there were those that suggested that one be made. It is off-topic and definitely fits in there, but from my impression it seems like some may hold off on questions (except those who haven't) because there is no centralized place for it.

Computer/Tech Help is also a placeholder name as I meant it to encompass all things tech related, even including stuff like Programming that people might want this communities help on. I read in another VERY old topic that a programming section was questioned, but in the end rejected because the Devs might spend too much time there and not on the actual project.

(Gotta make sure there is at least one person fighting for this) ;)

Quote from: Justus on June 15, 2011, 07:31:49 PM
If/When the game is released, then that will be something we can add.

Whatchu talkin 'bout "IF"!!! :P
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Zedblade

Quote from: Cronky on June 15, 2011, 11:47:35 PM
All fair points thus far against it. I knew this would have little use right now, as specified, but there were those that suggested that one be made. It is off-topic and definitely fits in there, but from my impression it seems like some may hold off on questions (except those who haven't) because there is no centralized place for it.

Computer/Tech Help is also a placeholder name as I meant it to encompass all things tech related, even including stuff like Programming that people might want this communities help on. I read in another VERY old topic that a programming section was questioned, but in the end rejected because the Devs might spend too much time there and not on the actual project.

(Gotta make sure there is at least one person fighting for this) ;)

Quote from: Justus on June 15, 2011, 07:31:49 PM
If/When the game is released, then that will be something we can add.

Whatchu talkin 'bout "IF"!!! :P

Wish I could give a definite when, but unfortunately that's not something you can do when a team is composed of unpaid volunteers who only work on stuff if/when they have free time.

frvge

Zed's just a pessimist. :P Muhaha.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Bubbaganoosh

I would rather see an other games forum over a tech one. Google solves most
computer problems but a games forum you can see what others are playing until they
start jonesin on PS.
"It is a well-documented fact that if you smoke weed you will become a terrorist."  - Farley4Fan
Well it made me lol.