BIG QUESTIONS FOR THE DEV TEAM !

Started by AgentX_003, September 26, 2011, 01:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cronky

Quote from: DreadStunlock on September 28, 2011, 08:38:35 PM
Screw it, I just saw Skyrim combat, it's same bullshit again, and what the hell? Shooting an arrow and killing a dude is a sneak attack when another mob is next to him looking right at him. -.-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUdvbBumTyU

Freakin' aweful game. :(

It seems unfair to take one aspect and deem the whole game awful. Combat has always been a second thought for Bethesda. Their priority always seemed to be exploration, rather than what you actually interact with in the game world. Personal observations aside, Skyrim/Oblivion's combat definitely has room to improve, but it's not BAD. The AI reactions could be improved, but they aren't anything that we haven't seen in a majority of other games. Stealth isn't exactly a "way to play", but more of a gimmick that works out because they set critical damage so high.

If you want to see bad combat, in the same series, then look at Morrowind. It's ridiculous to stand within hugging distance of someone with a sword and miss. Not because you didn't swing at them, and not because the AI actually dodged... but just because hitting was at the roll of an invisible dice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybggnnH0Gak&feature=player_detailpage#t=258s

(when it says "Groan" or he reels back he is getting hit. All other hits are missing)

So while the Elder Scrolls combat may pale in comparison to other games, it's definitely improving with each iteration (it could be worse, and Bethesda is at least learning a little bit with each game). Skyrim's improvement to combat this time seems to be dual wielding (reminds me of Bioshock 2), and I think arrows act more realistic (stealth crits aside. I think hitting the head is supposed to actually hurt people more/kill them).

One thing that I thank Bethesda for removing from Elder Scrolls games is these guys...

...Course then they added these guys to the Fallout games...

If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

DreadStunLock

Don't know why people have problems with Cazadors, they always die if you have Boon and Rex on your team without even getting near you. xD

Though...combat to me, has to be entertaining, because I can't progress without getting passed mobs without dieng, and I won't have much to explore. And I am definitely not going to force myself through the crap combat, just for exploration, nah-ah girlfriend. ^^

Farley4Fan

You know those things that make every game better?  They make Elder Scrolls/fallout a lot better.

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Farley4Fan on September 29, 2011, 02:17:17 AM
You know those things that make every game better?  They make Elder Scrolls/fallout a lot better.

And they also DELAY Project Stealth development, by corrupting the game engine. :O Conspiracy...

Cronky

Quote from: DreadStunlock on September 29, 2011, 02:16:26 AM
Don't know why people have problems with Cazadors, they always die if you have Boon and Rex on your team without even getting near you. xD

Unarmed Character - Very Hard Difficulty - Hardcore mode

Boon and Rex don't know how to use Anti-Venom. So while the Cazador's may die, they will too.

;)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

Spark Mandriller

Quote from: Cronky on September 29, 2011, 01:42:57 AM
If you want to see bad combat, in the same series, then look at Morrowind. It's ridiculous to stand within hugging distance of someone with a sword and miss. Not because you didn't swing at them, and not because the AI actually dodged... but just because hitting was at the roll of an invisible dice.

Is there really a huge difference between attacking someone with low weapon skill = missing a lot and attacking someone with low weapon skill = you do like 1% damage? You've got like 2 dps either way, it's just a different way of getting there.

It doesn't matter anyway because combat in both games is shit. Fighting in either case comes down to standing in one place spamming attack. That's it, you just press one button over and over. How is that not awful?

Quote...Course then they added these guys to the Fallout games...

I thought that was Obsidian.

Cronky

Quote from: Sullen Plummet on September 29, 2011, 03:54:55 AM
Quote from: Cronky on September 29, 2011, 01:42:57 AM

Is there really a huge difference between attacking someone with low weapon skill = missing a lot and attacking someone with low weapon skill = you do like 1% damage? You've got like 2 dps either way, it's just a different way of getting there.

It doesn't matter anyway because combat in both games is shit. Fighting in either case comes down to standing in one place spamming attack. That's it, you just press one button over and over. How is that not awful?

It's really the same damage happening, yes, but the... feedback(?) you get is MUCH more appealing the way Oblivion handles it (In my opinion). I would much rather do little damage cause I suck with something, than miss when I'm basically on top of an enemy (sometimes I literally was). If they want someone to immerse themselves in the game, then (again, this is my opinion) they shouldn't make the invisible dice roll so obvious.

Quote from: Sullen Plummet on September 29, 2011, 03:54:55 AM
Quote...Course then they added these guys to the Fallout games...

I thought that was Obsidian.

True, but it's Bethesda's property, so I'm sure they had a say in a new enemy popping up in their stush.
-----------------------

Spark Mandriller

I dunno, I think Morrowind is better from an immersion standpoint. At least in that I can pretend that the enemy dodged or whatever, but Oblivion just makes no sense. I hit some fucker in the face with a battleaxe and barely scratched him because... I don't know the secret art of how to actually hurt people with axes?  I just hit him in the face with the thing, come on, what else do I need to do?

but it doesn't matter anyway because they both suuuuuck when it comes to fights let's face it.

Farley4Fan

Go larping on peyote.  There's some immersion for ya.

It's always hard for me to be immersed entirely when I have a lizard face. 

DreadStunLock

The problem was, that Morrowind never made me feel powerful, you would level up, and so would your enemies, so you never have mobs that you can just go around and 1 shot for fun. :(

knooger

Guys actually we shouldn't be worried about gameplay of skyrim, even if they screw up things like combat we will have great mods from community which will make game better than the orginal.

BTW. I suggest you to try NEHRIM www.nehrim.de <--- that modification for TES IV Oblivion kicks ass - it's total new world etc.
Quests, world and overall gameplay is seriously on very high level.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: DreadStunlock on September 29, 2011, 06:41:13 PM
The problem was, that Morrowind never made me feel powerful, you would level up, and so would your enemies, so you never have mobs that you can just go around and 1 shot for fun. :(

Oblivion has upscaling enemies and so does Skyrim.

It's more of a series staple now, regardless of how anyone in particular feels about it.  I can see both sides of the "IT'S TEH GAI vs FOR THE CHALLENJE!!" argument.  I don't really care.  I guess it's because I understand that there are just some areas you can't go until you feel confident in your abilities.  It's like any other game in existence, basically. 

On the flipside tho, I'd rather not come across a fire-breathing, man-eating dragon in the middle of a market (or the field just outside my house) because I'm a high level.

DreadStunLock

Quote from: KnoogeR on September 29, 2011, 07:29:30 PM
Guys actually we shouldn't be worried about gameplay of skyrim, even if they screw up things like combat we will have great mods from community which will make game better than the orginal.

BTW. I suggest you to try NEHRIM www.nehrim.de <--- that modification for TES IV Oblivion kicks ass - it's total new world etc.
Quests, world and overall gameplay is seriously on very high level.

Yeah, that just makes me feel so much better that I have paid for a shitty game, when I meant to pay for the mod or wait for the mod to come out, and pay them by paying the company, and see the mod not get any credit...

Cronky

(shhhh... I know this is an oblivion screenshot)
-----------------------

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Cronky on September 29, 2011, 08:47:22 PM

(shhhh... I know this is an oblivion screenshot)

Noob Mod, that's Oblivion!

(shhhh, I know about the "Shhhh, I know it's from oblivion)