Elbow? I prefer punch

Started by Ion.67, January 16, 2008, 01:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ion.67

Everytime I watch a spy elbow someone in the face, I always laugh a bit. The merc is shooting him, so he brings his arm up by his chest, parallel to the ground, and throws his elbow out. It doesn't look like a very effective move.

I think a punch would be a much cooler looking animation. The spy would turn his torso at a 45 degree angle, bend at the knees, and slightly at his back, bringing his forearm up, while the punching hand going down behind him. Then, he would begin turning his torso, swinging his arm, and raising his knees. It would be a kind of uppercut mixed with a right hook.

I think this would show off the spies training more. If the spies are very agile, they should be able to do moves in a very fluid motion, not the stiff elbow. Also, I think the hit would look very realistic, along with the merc stumbling off to the side.

Maybe this wouldn't look like something a professional would do? I am not sure. But I personally think it would look amazing.

Farley4Fan

Elbows are MUCH more effective than fists.  You would know that if you ever won a fight, or lost one for that matter.  One of those reasons is because you can get more power from your elbow.  And don't forget the fact that it would hurt way less to hit someone wearing a helmet with your elbow than it would be to use your fist.

Ion.67

As far as I know, the spy isn't trying to win in a hand to hand fight, he is trying to get away, by any means.

I would be fine if the current look of the move had any power, but as of now it looks as if it barely does anything.

Xris

it would be cool if the mercs lost like 8th or 16th of health too for each elbow, so if they get elbowed enough they would die lol  ;D

Farley4Fan

Hmmm...  I don't know about that.  It would make mercs avoid direct confrontation with a slice of health left.  Currently, they don't care what their health is when they fight a spy, unless they are uncareful about where they shoot their frags.

If I was trying to escape I would definitely make sure I throw in an elbow because of how disorientating it is to get hit by swinging elbow that is hard as a rock.  The animation was a little weak, but our animators will do a better job.  I assure you, elbows are much better than fists in a fight and for attempting to disorientate people.

Guggle

Maybe the spy should just drill the merc in the stomach, leaving the merc kind of slouched for a few moments (not long enough for spies to run around and grab -.-).

Ion.67

Whatever the move ends up being, it needs to be very fluid, and slightly over-exaggerated, in my opinion. These guys are the pinnacle of agility, so they should show it.

Westfall

I say, pull the mercs mask off....bet you that would stun the little bastard. Then, when he's not looking, sneak up behind him, grab his drawers, and yank those suckers up.

Ion.67

We want to stun him, not permanently remove his chance of making babies.

Farley4Fan

Permanently removing my chance of having babies would stun me.

Again, elbows are still the best weapon that anyone has.  Unless they have a credit card, then they can slash his eyes and run.

neth

It can be elbow, punches or anything else. Effect should remain the same.

B1nArY_001

The animation chosen will have to be quick, little to no "setup" or what is called anticipation in the world of animation. For example, a punch where it requires the spy to draw back or make any exaggerated motion that gives the blow that "powerful" feeling. This is for the sake of keeping the animation quick and snappy so there is no real delays experienced. You don't want to run up to a merc and be stuck in front of him doing some big 'ol badass move only to be shot to death by him or his partner while executing the move. But don't worry, with proper training it is easy to hit someone from 6 inches away just as hard as if you had cranked back for a big fat haymaker. You just follow through with your weight rotating from the hips to put your torso's weight into the blow - quick - snappy - effective. Close quarters combat is preferred and more realistic in a brutal do-or-die situation anyhow. Forget movies, forget martial arts, actual combat systems are direct, brutal, designed to be most effective inside the target's defensive range and immensely damaging. Spies don't use Karate in the field, they would lose  ;)

Ion.67

Not to be offensive, but I really didn't understand that post. I can't tell what you are looking for. You want something quick, and has no delay. I understand that. But, you have to have some flash somewhere, where you make the player say, "Holy hell, that was pretty sweet." As I said before, even if it is just the elbow, it needs to look as if it actually hurt. It won't take longer, but having a step forwards coupled with a turning motion, for me at least, would make all the difference. That is why I thought a punch would look the best, because of the general nature of being farther away while punching.

Farley4Fan

A punch wouldn't look better.  It would look like some drunk brawler at a bar fighting.  Rather than someone who actually knows how to fight and use an elbow instead of your fist.  The animation just needs to look a little more powerful, yes.  That's about it.

B1nArY_001

Ok to simplify my previous post - A less detailed and quick animation is better than something that sacrifices quick recovery or makes your character look all retarded because your legs are running away while your arms do something fancy.

As soon as you hit the merc you are not going to be standing there admiring the pretty animation, you are going to either run, shock or nade.

Ubi Soft's animators actually did a damn good job of animating the spy. Even the elbow, it is quick with enough follow-through to give the impression of a powerful hit. A weak hit does not knock someone back like that nor does it continue through after the initial target contact.

So basically, if we choose to use an elbow it will look quite similar as we would not be copying ubi soft but rather copying the proper way to perform such a blow. There are a few small things that could be done to give a bigger impression of power but they are small things like stepping in raising up on the toes of the driving leg behind the blow. It's not much but it lends a lot to the appearance of a forceful blow.

We have some pretty good animators so I think everyone will be pleased with what they are producing  ;)