The Assault Rifle Discussion

Started by Farley4Fan, December 24, 2007, 10:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawain

well, you can't spam that much with the rifle. flashbangs and chaff have a way stronger effect on a rifle user. and even if it's just for seconds, the smaller fov and mobility while sniping do have an effect (better target for quickcams etc).
i'd go for the rifle because it's versatile, but also has enough weak points. the pt rifle with a selectable (balanced) tazer seems perfectly balanced to me. like stated before, the snap headshots happen quite rarely.
another aspect is that a one-weapon system is better for competitive play.

Spekkio

Quote from: InvisibleMan999 on December 28, 2007, 01:00:11 AM
I feel the shotgun probably needs a boost, or some kind of redesign.

The shotgun does its job well, but the problem is that it sucks at everything within medium or long range. You can't shoot out bombs, cams or spybullets well... you are a joke against a spy hacking at long distance (making you very vulnerable to the run around hack strategy). And what you get back is decent, but not great. Close range with the shotgun is what the PT tazer did for you before. If the tazer didn't suck in CT, I don't think the shotgun would have any appeal at all.

Agreed

BurningDeath

Quote from: Gawain on December 28, 2007, 01:40:47 PM
burning death, you didn't get my point: if there's a whole narrow area/map, taking uzi or shotty is unbalanced because the spies already got a disadvantage in those areas.
Erm .. this argument is completely void, because there won't be any maps that only contain narrow corridors.

Quote from: Gawain on December 28, 2007, 01:40:47 PM
discussing about the shotty is bs, and the uzi is just a no-brainer rifle.
Why is discussing about the shotgun bs? How can discussing anything by bullshit anyways?
And how is the uzi a no-brainer-rifle? You still have to aim very carefully, otherwise you just get SSed and the spy is gone. Spray and pray only helps in few situations.

Gawain

Quote from: BurningDeath on December 28, 2007, 04:12:05 PM
Why is discussing about the shotgun bs? How can discussing anything by bullshit anyways?
And how is the uzi a no-brainer-rifle? You still have to aim very carefully, otherwise you just get SSed and the spy is gone. Spray and pray only helps in few situations.
it should always be possible for a good careful spy to SS you. that's one of the reasons why shotty sux, besides a useful tazer etc
uzi is the strongest weapon at the most common fight distances and has almost no weak point at all.

a3c0i3d

uzi is the strongest weapon at the most common fight distances and has almost no weak point at all.
[/quote]

yet almost everyone plays with the sniper, hmmm strange...

Gawain

uzi is likely to causes lag and hit-animation bs and has a bad reputation because it reputedly takes less skill. besides it's hard to aim with uzi without the fps unlock.
there are some quite good players with uzi, and no good players with shotty at all.

InvisibleMan999

Quote from: BurningDeath on December 28, 2007, 04:12:05 PM

Yeah, you've got to line up your shots with the uzi to deal damage you care about. This isn't rainbow 6 where a single shot from an automatic can take you out. You still need aim to use the uzi. If anything I've always felt automatics take more skill than single shot weapons because you have to actually sustain a cone of fire on your foe, instead of relying on just timing a single powerful shot.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

InvisibleMan999

Quote from: Kok4f4n on December 30, 2007, 03:24:16 PM
That's what the laser is for.

The laser makes me less accurate, not more so, only because it's sometimes difficult to tell where the gun itself is pointed while using the laser. Unlikes the spy laser, it doesn't produce a single red dot on where you want to fire, but rather a long beam that actually makes it tougher to aim. At least for me anyway. I'll take a crosshair over the laser anyday.

frvge

I'm sure we can fix that. I have a problem with that myself too sometimes. Especially when using the Uzi.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Farley4Fan

Should there be a distinct dot on where the end of the laser hits?  It should also be easier to tell the laser beam apart from the muzzle flash.

Test-Subject

Quote from: a3c0i3d on December 29, 2007, 12:04:17 PM
yet almost everyone plays with the sniper, hmmm strange...

try that : go in a random server and play with the uzi or shotty... kick the host's ass for a few round... and you'll get kick-out of the server

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Quote from: Test-Subject on December 31, 2007, 07:14:46 PM
kick the host's ass for a few round... and you'll get kick-out of the server
That happens on most servers even if you don't have uzi or shotty.

InvisibleMan999

Quote from: Kok4f4n on December 31, 2007, 07:25:54 PM
Quote from: Test-Subject on December 31, 2007, 07:14:46 PM
kick the host's ass for a few round... and you'll get kick-out of the server
That happens on most servers even if you don't have uzi or shotty.

Yup. If the host is getting his ass kicked, hes probably going to kick you. The rest of it is just an excuse.

If anything qualifies for a cheap weapon, I'd say the rifle is #1. At least with the uzi or shotgun you're probably going to hear the merc closing in before you just die. You may never see it when you get sniped. And that feels cheaper to me than a merc getting a lucky hit with the shotgun that happens to 1 shot kill you, or the ever so reviled "uzi lag" that people whine about.

Farley4Fan

I don't experience uzi lag that much, if ever.  If you are talking about the fact that your screen goes red when you get shot and you get repeatedly shot so you are blind, it happens sometimes.  If you get repeatedly shot so you can't see it doesn't really matter, because you would die if you could see anyways.  Remove the red screen effect when shot, you'll still be shot whether you can see a lot.  Why?  The uzi sprays bullets, a lot of them.

I don't think shotgun is that cheap.  If you get close to a merc with shotgun, that is your fault.