merc confusion gadget

Started by Gawain, February 05, 2008, 01:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BurningDeath

Quote from: Gawain on February 08, 2008, 05:50:23 PM
dude, i really have np understanding your crappy tactics. they just wouldn't work against good players.
i bet you don't understand why, so here's a little explanation: a good merc wouldn't go any further into blue room than 3m away from the tech room door.
Just a quick question: Do you mean 'greek temple' when you say blue room?

Xris

Quote from: BurningDeath on February 08, 2008, 09:03:44 PM
dude, i really have np understanding your crappy tactics. they just wouldn't work against good players.
i bet you don't understand why, so here's a little explanation: a good merc wouldn't go any further into blue room than 3m away from the tech room door.

No its the "Tropical Fish Room" where the spies can wal above the cieling and the 2nd drop off for disk is behind the hack

BurningDeath

Quote from: FusionSlayer on February 08, 2008, 09:10:54 PM

No its the "Tropical Fish Room" where the spies can wal above the cieling and the 2nd drop off for disk is behind the hack
Ahh .. yeah okay .. it's kind of misleading because it's actually a whole corridor, isn't it?

Westfall

Quote from: BurningDeath on February 08, 2008, 09:13:28 PM

Ahh .. yeah okay .. it's kind of misleading because it's actually a whole corridor, isn't it?

Its the Aquarium.

BurningDeath

Quote from: Westfall-US on February 08, 2008, 09:16:36 PM

Its the Aquarium.
o_O The one where you can grab one disc?

whatever guys .. this is unnecessary anyways. It's not like I don't know that map. ;)

Westfall

Quote from: BurningDeath on February 08, 2008, 09:24:39 PM
Quote from: Westfall-US on February 08, 2008, 09:16:36 PM

Its the Aquarium.
o_O The one where you can grab one disc?

whatever guys .. this is unnecessary anyways. It's not like I don't know that map. ;)

you don't....b00n

Xris

lolz west ... b00n ... thats the best ever  :D

Farley4Fan

i bet you don't understand why, so here's a little explanation: a good merc wouldn't go any further into blue room than 3m away from the tech room door. it's sufficient because he can snipe the whole room from there, and he can be back sniping pirates in under 2s. there's no need to chase a fleeing spy any further because you won't be able to kill him unless he tazed you a moment ago and is so stupid to stay around. besides, the other merc can easily camp on the bridge because with one spy being in pirates the other one is quite unlikely to be in tech and even if so it's not that hard to defuse the bomb for the other one.
btw, still waiting for your aqua vid =)

Wow.  I was just giving an example.  Don't take that shit so seriously.  I was just giving a possible scenario.  And what if it was the last spy?  Obviously the merc isn't going to just sit there and watch the spy run away.  He's going to chase down the spy.  You don't know how it would work.  Holopods could be pretty convincing depending on how they are implemented.  Obviously maps aren't going to be designed like Aqua where you can afford to just camp in one room the whole match.  I'm guessing in PS the maps will be designed much better than aquarius so you have to chase down spies.   You can think of it like that. 

Spekkio

Didn't you say that you were going to install CT on PC? I haven't seen you online yet.

Farley4Fan

Yeah, I'm going to tonight sorry guys.  I've been busy with baseball and schoolwork.  If I don't get it installed tonight you guys can give me 100 virtual punches in the face each.   :D

Ion.67

You were also going to make an Xbox video...

Holopods are dumb. What happens when your prerecorded vision runs into a wall? Or, when it hits a merc. Also, you would have to design specific responses for specific hallways. It would not work well.

Farley4Fan

Dude.  Go read the other threads.  You'd have to place the holopod so that it wouldn't run into walls.  If it hits a wall it goes right through it.  That's why it wouldn't be so easy to use but it would take some smarts and good placement.  That's one way mercs can tell it from a real spy, if it goes through a wall.  And if it runs into a merc he is going to berserk and he's going to hit nothing.  You could even set up traps using this Ion.  Imagine recording a hologram so it just stays still or moves very slowly.  You could set it up in front of a doorway, then when a merc comes he is going to charge right through the spy, leaving his back turned giving you a nice neck grab.

As for my video, my capture card has been broken for quite awhile.  I want to get a good one now and not waste my money fixing an older model.

Ion.67

First of all, this gadget is a long way away from moderately realistic, and that is one reason why I don't like it.

Secondly, this hologram is a buffed snare. Vision is the sense you probably use the most while playing a game, and this is what it takes advantage of. I don't see any reason that a spy should have to lay a virtual spy down. I think you should either use snares for this type of use, or find a different route.

Thirdly, this is probably not even going to be possible in the Unreal Engine.

Fourth, setting and programming this thing is going to be a pain in the neck. You pretty much need a new program for every different hallway. Yes, I know all of these other ways for it to move and the like.

Fifth, this is going to be a big aggro tool. Yeah, I know, it can help stealth, but people are gonna spam this mother like no tomorrow when they are double teaming a merc.

Sixth, a good merc is going to realize what your program is, and just ignore any type of similar action after the first use.

Seventh, ambushes are going to be useless when a merc is checking every corner after being necked from seeing a fake spy run by once.

QuoteDude.  Go read the other threads.

I have. They will obviously be very hard to code, and generally make no sense.

Farley4Fan

1.  Realism sucks.  Go outside if you want realism.  Actually, realism is awesome, just it's not needed in a game.  :D

2.  Aggro needs a boost right now imo, especially if maps are darker/boosted camo/nerfed merc visions.  Stealth would overpower the need for aggro.  It needs some sort of boost for it to be a viable strategy.

3.  your secondly point just proves my point, rather than yours.

4.  You would be able to carry maybe 5 pre recordings.  I don't think a merc will remember all 5 even if you use all of them.

Ion.67

1. In my opinion, this game is all about realistic gadgets. Maybe not gameplay, maybe not outfits, but gadgets. Every gadget right now has a possibility of being a spy gadget

2. Play the pc version. Until you do, you don't know aggro.

3. That the game won't even be able to run it? That definitely proves your point I guess?

4. Where would you record these recordings? A menu? Basically, you have 5 optimal spots to put this gadget down at. Otherwise, useless?