merc confusion gadget

Started by Gawain, February 05, 2008, 01:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ion.67

I understand that. But, for this gadget to have only 5 places where it would work is pointless. If I lay a snare down, then it makes noise and messes the reticle. If I do a shitty job of placing it, it can still make noises and mess with the reticle, it just won't be ass effective.

For your holo, if you don't use use it in the exact right place, you basically wasted a gadget slot.

Farley4Fan

How exactly do you think someone could fuck up the placing so bad that it won't even make the merc look at it?  I can see that most situations someone would just place a recording of a spy running away or fast crouching.  Think about it.  If you are walking into pirates from greek, and someone places a holo so it just crouches right into blue room, the merc will think that there is a spy going into blue room and possibly turn all of his defenses toward that entrance.  That would leave you free to roam about behind him and if he chases after it you'd be able to shave a few seconds off of the objective and escape with time to spare.  The merc isn't going to have a lot of time to react and shoot the spy so he is going to think it is real.  There are many situations where just a straight line would work very well.  You don't need a unique recording for every hallway, you are exaggerating.

Using the holopod as bait would work very well too.  If you come around a corner and see a crouched spy who is going to shoot it?  Most people would just charge the "spy".  The merc would go right through the spy leaving you an easy neck grab if you place it wisely.

Ion.67

What I am saying is that you can have these 5 recordings or whatever, but you can only put the gadget it 5 spots. Mess up once, and you have a spy turning corners in a perfectly straight hallway.

Westfall

Quote from: Vega on February 12, 2008, 11:03:45 PM
Haha, Westfall, he was just making a comment that I usually do with his posts.  When I've agreed with spekkio on a certain subject, I would quote what he said and write "speikkio is wiese" or something along those lines.  It could be pure coincidence that he wrote the same for me or he could be playing off of the situation I just gave you.

Didn't know about the inside joke...I HATE YOU.....kind of......nt

QuoteBut that's besides the point.  Spekkio obviously agreed with my opinion and made a comment about it.  However, you're telling him to rationally justify his views on a proposed gadget, but then make this comment; "his statement which consists of errors...many errors."  Where's the justification in that?  If you want to summarize the thread into what all the rambling has come down to, then by all means please do so.  If you're referring to Papa's multiple ideas of how a holo pod could work, then no, I read those.  I just don't think they're good or fit PS in any way.  I read through most of this stuff and I don't see where this "if you read earlier you'd know" type of deal is coming from.  What Mic said earlier was dead-on to what I'm saying.

Yes, your statements did consist of errors. Papa does change around the idea of the holopod, but if you've been reading my posts, I actually answer questions that are being posed. I actually stray from what Papa has been saying. I want to see the holo pod in there, just not the way he may want it. If you have any questions, I will gladly answer them about the idea behind the holo pod. Papa's just hasn't been too specific and is changing. I don't have to justify that you're making errors if you haven't read my posts.

The recording option is probably one of the weirdest ideas conceptually to be brought up for PS.  So much pointless and odd work does not seem needed for a single gadget.  Besides it being odd to do so, adding this feature to our CT-styled game is such a lame mechanic to add that it's not even funny.  It's on par with giving our spies a teleporting device.  You could program it so you can do kicking backflips and even teleport inside boxes for hiding!  It's so cool!  Teleporters could work!  Right?!

Recording the presets would give you something to do on your account. Just like setting presets for games, maps, friends, etc. Also, this isn't CT...its PS...completely new game around Spies vs Mercenaries. I know the teleporting was a joke, so I'll let that slide (only this time Vegajuice). I don't know how a hologram is a "lame mechanic" though. I wish we had it now so some1 could use it on you, distract you by you going over to the hologram, and then hacking somewhere else. I would love to hear your reaction in this situation. The gadget is a situational gadget, but so is every other gadget.

Quote from: Ion.67 on February 13, 2008, 03:46:02 AM
I understand that. But, for this gadget to have only 5 places where it would work is pointless. If I lay a snare down, then it makes noise and messes the reticle. If I do a shitty job of placing it, it can still make noises and mess with the reticle, it just won't be ass effective.

For your holo, if you don't use use it in the exact right place, you basically wasted a gadget slot.

Well, if you use it incorrectly...then yes, you did waste a slot. Thats why we have to wait and see if the devs could ever actually do it. Kind of like most people taking snares now. What a wasted slot if you don't know how to use em. Actually, snares are just a waste of a slot....always.

Snares create the illusion of sound. A holo pod would create the illusion of sight.

Quote from: Spekkio on February 12, 2008, 11:22:51 PM
News flash: if you have to be in the area to place the hologram, seeing the hologram is going to tip you off to the fact that a spy is around no matter what.

Duh. Kind of like if you saw a spy plant a cam, shoot snare, use camo, or saw a spy run to hide somewhere. The hologram would be shot from a distance, like it has been said....a lot.

Quote from: Spekkio on February 12, 2008, 11:11:32 PM
QuoteIts presumptuous. You shouldn't correct other people's spelling when you need to consider your own.
And you need to learn to discern between obvious typos (u is right next to the i key) and blatant misspellings. "Hippocrite" is nowhere near a typo.

I don't know what you're trying to spew out, but Papa has no business commenting on how much time it would take to code or model something when he is not a programmer or modeler.

A misspelling is a misspelling regardless, yea? I assume you don't get the red squiggly line underneath the typo?

You have no business insulting Papa right? Are you a programmer? Do you have any idea how long it takes? Papa has every right to say what he wants, or else this wouldn't be a forum. You can negate what hes saying....oh wait....no you can't because you don't know either. I'm spewing how you know just as much as he does about the topic of coding/programming/animating. You may know how to make a map, but that doesn't mean diddly compared to what the devs are doing. You would need some1 who knows to actually tell the truth. I don't even know if it takes long or not, because there was no answer and no one who has spoken here knows. Maybe Mic does, but he didn't really say.

Quote from: Ion.67 on February 13, 2008, 02:01:48 AM
What do you guys not under stand about situational. You would need a different animation for each hallway to make the hologram look semi-real.

You would need the animation you preset before you even entered the room. Its being strategic in several situations. Every gadget is situational.

Quote from: Ion.67 on February 13, 2008, 04:52:34 AM
What I am saying is that you can have these 5 recordings or whatever, but you can only put the gadget it 5 spots. Mess up once, and you have a spy turning corners in a perfectly straight hallway.

Then that would be the fault of the spy yea? It would look ridiculous and maybe give your position away. Oh wait, if you were stealthy it would only mean the merc knows what it is. Doesn't give away your position necessarily.

frvge

Arg, I still don't know how to quote like you guys do  ???

Anyway, what about a stationary holopod?
Sit in a corner, drop the holopod which will show your exact position, move away.

The Merc will bash or shoot it, giving you time to hack or grab.
On the other hand, if you sit in a normal 'holopod' place, he might ignore you (he's going to the obj that's being hacked) and then you grab him (you were pretending to be a holopod).

That would be possible.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Farley4Fan

The reason my explanations have been jumping around is because the idea is still developing.  I want to throw any ideas out there that could work and narrow them down later.  The idea isn't set in stone, we are still thinking about what it could be and how it could work.

Ion, who the hell is going to make a recording that makes a 90 degree turn randomly?  That's poor recording on their part.  Unless they place the holopod so the turn he makes happens at an actual corner.  But that won't happen.  Unless they record the holopod in that certain map so that every move they make actually makes sense.  It could even go into vents and such.  People could record a unique recording for every map so that the moves they make would make sense if they placed the holopod in the same place they started recording at.

That might not work that well. but if people just make recordings that for the most part go straight and place them right, it would be a very useful tool.  Or if you use them for bait.  I've explained this before, but you could place it in front of a doorway, hide behind it, wait for the merc to charge it go through it and hit the wall, then grab his neck.

Westfall

Quote from: frvge on February 13, 2008, 01:04:44 PM

Anyway, what about a stationary holopod?
Sit in a corner, drop the holopod which will show your exact position, move away.

The Merc will bash or shoot it, giving you time to hack or grab.
On the other hand, if you sit in a normal 'holopod' place, he might ignore you (he's going to the obj that's being hacked) and then you grab him (you were pretending to be a holopod).

That would be possible.

why would u not be able to shoot it?

frvge

? You can shoot it, but the pod wont be affected.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Xris

Quote from: frvge on February 13, 2008, 01:04:44 PM
Do i need to teach you ??  ;) ;D

Overstatement

Holo pads that projects two spies doing coop.

Westfall

mentalmars

Quote from: frvge on February 13, 2008, 05:53:47 PM
? You can shoot it, but the pod wont be affected.

better save then sorry.
if you run pass it, you can shoot or bash it.
and you will do that becase you dont want to walk passed a spy and do nothing about it

frvge

Correct. By not shooting it, you lose some valuable 0.5-1.5 seconds at the risk of being grabbed.